Yates, Abraham, 1724-1796.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 2.2 linear feet (5 boxes, 1 v.)
Collection closed until processed.
Collection consists of correspondence, writings, speeches,notes, estate papers, photograph, and printed matter. Correspondence, 1754-1825, concerns the activities of Abraham Yates as a political figure in New York State. Writings, notes and speeches include essays he wrote on the U.S. Constitution, notes on proceedings in Congress, speeches to the delegates to Congress in 1786, The Rough Hewer manuscript, and notes for histories of New York and Albany. Also, papers relating to the Manor of Rensselaerwyck and the Albany Committee of Correspondence,land and family records, photograph of painting of Yates, and other items such as broadsides and a legal treatise byThomas Wentworth printed in London in 1663.
Abraham Yates, Jr. (1724-1796) was an American politician and pamphleteer. A radical Whig who was elected to New York provincial congresses and conventions, he was chairman of the convention (1776-1777) which drafted the first state constitution, served as a state senator from 1777 to 1790, and was mayor of Albany from 1790 to 1796. He wrote anti-federalist pamphlets with his relative, jurist Robert Yates (1738-1801), under the pen-name The Rough Hewer.
Controlled Access Terms
- Yates, Abraham, 1724-1796.
- New York (State). Convention of the Representatives (1776-1777)
- United States Constitution.
- Real property -- New York (State)
- Albany (N.Y.) -- History.
- Albany (N.Y.) -- Politics and government.
- New York (State) -- Constitution.
- New York (State) -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- New York (State) -- Politics and government -- To 1775.
- United States -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
- United States -- Politics and government -- To 1775.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783.
Additional Creator Names
- Clinton, George, 1739-1812.
- Lansing, Abraham.
- Livingston, Robert, 1718-1775.
- Wentworth, Thomas, 1568?-1628.
- Yates, Christopher C., 1778?-1848.
- Yates, Robert, 1738-1801.