Werner, M. R. (Morris Robert), 1897-
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 3.4 linear feet (9 boxes).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of correspondence, writings of Werner,photographs, and printed matter. Bulk of the papers is correspondence, 1920-1981, with friends, family, colleagues, editors, and publishers. Most letters relate to Werner's literary contributions to various periodicals,his work as a foreign correspondent, and his books, especially his unpublished biography of La Guardia. Also included are historical manuscript letters collected by Werner. Writings contain typescripts, 1920-1966, of articles by Werner, of his biography of La Guardia, of hisautobiography, of his diaries, 1920, 1935-1943, and of book reviews. Photographs are of Werner and his family andfriends. Printed matter includes clippings of articles andcopies of magazines and journals containing articles by Werner.
Morris Robert Werner (1897-1981) was an American journalist and writer in the fields of history, biography and current events. He was a sales agent for chemical dyes in China and then became a foreign correspondent for a British newspaper and for the Paris edition of the New York Herald Tribune. His literary work included writing articles for various American periodicals, a biography of Fiorello H. La Guardia, and his autobiography.
Controlled Access Terms
- Werner, M. R. (Morris Robert), 1897-
- New York herald tribune (New York, N.Y.)
- New Yorker (New York, N.Y. : 1925)
- China -- Commerce.
- China -- History -- 1912-1928.
- China -- Social conditions -- 1912-1949.
Additional Creator Names
- Andrews, William Linton, Sir.
- Belmont, August, 1813-1890.
- Bliven, Bruce, 1889-1977.
- Bradford, Gamaliel, 1795-1839.
- Carnegie, Andrew, 1835-1919.
- Cummings, E. E. (Edward Estlin), 1894-1962.
- Hill, David B. (David Bennett), 1843-1910.
- Houdini, Harry, 1874-1926.
- Hummel, Abraham H., 1849-1926.
- La Guardia, Fiorello H. (Fiorello Henry), 1882-1947.
- Morris, Newbold.
- Parsons, Geoffrey.
- Riis, Jacob A. (Jacob August), 1849-1914.
- Rockefeller, John D. (John Davison), 1874-1960.
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950.
- Shawn, William.
- Stone, William Leete, 1835-1908.
- Sullivan, Frank, 1892-1976.
- Sulzer, William, 1863-1941.
- Wilson, Edmund, 1895-1972.