- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Richard Welling papers, 1881-1941, bulk (1925-1941)
Welling, Richard, 1858-1946.
- 21 linear feet (55 boxes).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of correspondence, writings, scrapbooks, personal papers, photographs, and printed matter. Correspondence, ca. 1894-1941, relates to Welling's involvement with various social, political, cultural, and reform organizations. Writings include typescript of his autobiography, As the Twig is Bent; articles he wrote; and his diaries, 1883-1945. Scrapbooks,1876-1946, contain materials covering a wide range of topics. Also, personal papers, photographs (mainly of Welling), and printed matter concerning politics.
Richard Ward Greene Welling (1858-1946), New York City lawyer and reformer, was founder of the National Self Government Committee and president of the George Junior Republic. He was active in political and municipal reform and belonged to many social and political organizations.
Controlled Access Terms
- Welling, Richard, 1858-1946.
- Associations, institutions, etc.
- Child welfare.
- Civil service reform.
- Parks -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Social problems.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Politics and government -- 1898-1951.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1901-1953.
Additional Creator Names
- Dewey, Thomas E. (Thomas Edmund), 1902-1971.
- Gildersleeve, Virginia Crocheron, 1877-
- La Guardia, Fiorello H. (Fiorello Henry), 1882-1947.
- Letts, Winifred.
- Roosevelt, Eleanor, 1884-1962.
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945.
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Thomas, Norman, 1884-1968.
- Wells, H. G. (Herbert George), 1866-1946.
- Citizens & Non Partisan Committee.
- City Reform Club (New York, N.Y.)
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- American Labor Party.
- Boys Brotherhood Republic of New York.
- Citizens Union of the City of New York.
- George Junior Republic (Freeville, N.Y.)
- Municipal Arts Society (New York, N.Y.)
- National Sculpture Society (U.S.)
- National Self Government Committee.
- New York Philharmonic.
- Roosevelt Memorial Association.