Washington, George, 1732-1799.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Originals: 4 linear feet (5 boxes, 20 v.).
- Copies: 6 microfilm reels.
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Researchers must use microfilm.
Collection contains general correspondence, official and personal papers, family papers, volumes, and miscellaneouspapers concerning Washington. Collection covers the significant years of his life and includes original manuscripts, facsimiles and photostatic copies of originals not belonging to the New York Public Library. Correspondence, 1754-1799, consists of letters to, from and about Washington and relate to military and political matters as well as to the upkeep of Mount Vernon. His official and personal papers, 1750-1803, contain land surveys, receipts and estate papers. Family papers, 1694-1894, pertain to various members of the families of both Washington and his wife. Volumes include Washington's 1757notebook (which contains his recipe for beer); orderly book for 1778; letterbooks, 1768-1799; surveys; typewritten unpublished manuscript entitled "Washington's Secret of 1782"; Washington's war map of New York and New Jersey, 1777; and 1750-1774 ledger. Miscellany series consists largely of papers pertaining to his Farewell Address as President to the citizens of the United States,including the original manuscript of the address, 1796. Some other items are photocopies of papers about Washington belonging to private individuals and institutions.
George Washington (1732-1799) was the first president of the U.S.
Controlled Access Terms
- Washington, George, 1732-1799.
- Washington family.
- United States. Continental Army -- History.
- Real property -- Virginia.
- United States -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
- United States -- History -- 1783-1815.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783.
Additional Creator Names
- Augustine, John.
- Augustine, William.
- Billings, John S. (John Shaw), 1838-1913.
- Boucher, Jonathan, 1738-1804.
- Clinton, George, 1739-1812.
- Custis, George Washington Parke, 1781-1857.
- Eames, Wilberforce, 1855-1937.
- Fairfax, George William, 1724-1787.
- Ford, Worthington Chauncey, 1858-1941.
- Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790.
- Hamilton, Alexander, 1757-1804.
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826.
- Lee, Henry, 1756-1818.
- Madison, James, 1751-1836.
- Moore, George Henry, 1823-1892.
- Morris, Gouverneur, 1752-1816.
- Paltsits, Victor Hugo, 1867-1952.
- Pickering, Timothy, 1745-1829.
- Riedesel, Friedrich Adolf, Freiherr von, 1738-1800.
- Ross, James.
- Sparks, Jared, 1789-1866.
- Trumbull, Jonathan, 1740-1809.
- Washington, Lawrence Augustine, 1776-1824.
- Washington, Martha, 1731-1802.