- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Samuel Ward papers, 1647-1912.
Ward, Samuel, 1814-1884.
- 2.5 linear feet (8 boxes).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection contains the papers of Ward, his father, his grandfather, and other family members, as well as his collection of autograph letters of mathematicians and scientists. Papers include handwritten and typescript letters, notebooks, transcripts, photographs, and printed matter. Samuel Ward correspondence, 1825-1882, concerns his activities, intellectual and literary matters, and family concerns. Many letters were written by friends who were historical figures. Autograph collection, 1647-1856, comprises letters by famous mathematicians and scientists acquired by Ward with his purchase of the library of mathematician A.N. Legendre. Also, Ward's travel notebooks,and letters, photographs and other papers of various members of the Ward family.
Samuel Ward (1814-1884) was an American lobbyist, financier, author, and adventurer. He was the son of the banker Samuel Ward (1786-1839) and the grandson of Samuel Ward (1756-1832) soldier and merchant. His sister was Julia Ward Howe, author of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic". After leaving his father's banking house, Prime,Ward & King, he visited Latin America on behalf of U.S. corporate and government interests. By the end of the U.S.Civil War he was settled in Washington, D.C. where he lobbied the government on behalf of financiers.
Controlled Access Terms
- Ward, Samuel, 1814-1884.
- Ward family.
- Banks and banking -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Mines and mineral resources -- Nicaragua.
- Europe -- Description and travel.
- Mexico -- History -- 1821-1861.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Social life and customs.
- United States -- Intellectual life -- 1783-1865.
- Capitalists and financiers.
Additional Creator Names
- Armstrong, John, 1758-1843.
- Bancroft, George, 1800-1891.
- Bayard, Thomas F. (Thomas Francis), 1828-1898.
- Bernoulli, Jean, 1667-1748.
- Brady, Mathew B., 1823 (ca.)-1896.
- Crawford, F. Marion (Francis Marion), 1854-1909.
- Cutler, M. Eliza.
- Euler, Leonhard, 1707-1783.
- Evarts, William Maxwell, 1818-1901.
- Felton, C. C. (Cornelius Conway), 1807-1862.
- Francis, John W. (John Wakefield), 1789-1861.
- Halleck, Fitz-Greene, 1790-1867.
- Halley, Edmond, 1656-1742.
- Howe, Julia Ward, 1819-1910.
- Lagrange, J. L. (Joseph Louis), 1736-1813.
- Leibniz, Gottfried Wilhelm, Freiherr von, 1646-1716.
- Legendre, A. M. (Adrien Marie), 1752-1833.
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882.
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891.
- Sparks, Jared, 1789-1866.
- Ticknor, George, 1791-1871.
- Rosebery, Archibald Philip Primrose, Earl of, 1847-1929.
- Ward, Francis Marion, 1820-1847.
- Ward, Henry, 1818-1840.
- Ward, Samuel, 1756-1832.
- Ward, Samuel, 1786-1839.