Rockwell, William Walker.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 12.4 linear feet (31 boxes).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of correspondence, investment and organizational papers and lecture materials of William Walker Rockwell; Edith Rockwell's papers; and family genealogical information. Correspondence, 1901-1934, concerns personal and professional matters and includes printed matter and ephemera. Investment papers, 1909-1943,contain correspondence and printed items. Organizational papers, 1907-1938, are Rockwell's files relating to the Manhattan Congregational Church and to various organizations of which he was a member. Lecture preparation materials, 1914-1945, consist of notes, courseoutlines, bibliographies, correspondence, and ephemera. Ethel Rockwell's papers, 1909-1936, include correspondenceabout Radcliffe College, personal matters, the YWCA, as well as her estate papers. Rockwell-Dowse family papers, 1883-1929, contain genealogical information for publication purposes.
William Walker Rockwell (1874-1958) was a Congregational minister, professor of church history and librarian. After being ordained a minister of the Congregational Church in 1905, he joined the Union Theological Seminary in New YOrk City where he taught church history and was the librarian from 1925 until 1942. His wife, Ethel Dean Converse Rockwell (1875-1933), was a national figure in YWCA work.
Controlled Access Terms
- Rockwell, William Walker.
- Dowse family.
- Rockwell family.
- Radcliffe College -- Alumni and alumnae.
- Union Theological Seminary (New York, N.Y.) -- Faculty.
- Church history -- Study and teaching.
- Church historians.
Additional Creator Names
- Converse, Allan D.
- Jones, E. Milton.
- Rockwell, Ethel Dean Converse, 1875-1933.
- Rumsey, William L.
- American Society of Church History.
- Committee on Religious Liberty.
- Committee on the Relation of Church and State.
- League of Nations Non-Partisan Association (U.S.)
- Manhattan Congregational Church (New York, N.Y.)
- Medieval Academy of America.
- Near East Relief (Organization).
- Young Women's Christian Association of the U.S.A.