- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
National Audubon Society records, 1883-1990s.
National Audubon Society.
- 409 linear feet (996 boxes, 5 oversize folders).
Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref
Sound recordings are unavailable for use at this time pending preservation transfer.
The bulk of the records of the National Audubon Society document the activities of the organization from its incorporation in 1905 through 1991, reflecting the stewardship of its successive presidents (and vice presidents) including William Dutcher, T. Gilbert Pearson,John H. Baker, Carl W. Buchheister, Charles H. Callison, Elvis J. Stahr, Russell W. Peterson, and Peter A.A. Berle,and the work of its several departments and divisions. The records chronicle the transformation of the NationalAudubon Society from a relatively small association of ornithologists concerned primarily with the protection of migratory birds along the Atlantic seaboard, into one of the largest and most influential members of the movement for environmental conservation. Files include general andsubject correspondence, minutes, reports, photographs, clippings, printed matter, posters, maps, land surveys, sound recordings of meeting minutes and miscellaneous ephemera.
Also present are collateral papers and records dating from 1883. These concern William Dutcher and the Audubon movement in its early stages, including correspondence, field notes, diaries and reports; records of the American Ornithologists' Union; the papers of Frank M. Chapman; records of the Audubon Society of the State of New York; and records of the National Audubon Society's predecessor organization, the National Committee of the Audubon Societies of America, founded in 1901.
Controlled Access Terms
- Birds -- Conservation -- Societies, etc.
- Wildlife conservation.
- Conservation of natural resources -- Study and teaching.
- Wildlife refuges -- United States.
- Environmental protection.
- Everglades National Park (Fla.)
- Land surveys.
- Sound recordings.
Additional Creator Names
- Dutcher, William 1846-1920.
- Pearson, T. Gilbert (Thomas Gilbert), 1873-1943.
- Chapman, Frank M. (Frank Michler), 1864-1945.
- Dawson, William Leon, 1873- pht
- Edge, Rosalie.
- American Ornithologists' Union.
- National Association of Audubon Societies for the Protection of Wild Birds and Animals.
- National Committee of the Audubon Societies of America.
- Emergency Conservation Committee (U.S.)
- Audubon Society of the State of New York.