Billy Rose Theatre Division
- 8 boxes ( ca. 925 drawings) : some col. ; 61 cm x 55 cm.or smaller.
Mostly black and white original caricatures of theatrical productions, actors, actresses, and notables, but also includes a few motion picture celebrities and other subjects, by Alex Gard. The caricatures consist of both finished ink drawings, as well as a large number of preliminary sketches in pencil. Some drawings depict several personalities or productions in one. A few of thedozens of celebrities portrayed include Eddie Cantor, Katharine Hepburn, Bert Lahr, Ethel Merman, and Victor Moore. There are also several sketchbooks and cartoons, anumber of which depict casinos, bars, and various scenes in the state of Nevada. Of note are 3 caricatures of New York theater critics, portayed as Eskimos, a marching band,and in judicial robes and wigs.
Born in Kazan, Russia in 1900, Gard emigrated to the United States in 1924. Perhaps Gard's most famous works are his caricatures of Broadway celebrities for the walls of Sardi's restaurant, for which he was paid in meals. His drawings also appeared in The New York Herald Tribune's drama section. Gard died in New York City en route to the hospital in 1948.
Controlled Access Terms
- Cantor, Eddie, 1892-1964.
- Hepburn, Katharine, 1907-2003.
- Lahr, Bert, 1895-1967.
- Merman, Ethel.
- Actors ǂz United States ǂv Caricatures and cartoons.
- Actresses ǂz United States ǂv Caricatures and cartoons.
- Theater ǂz United States ǂv Caricatures and cartoons.
- Theater critics -- New York (State) -- New York.