Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref.
Winifred Mary Holland Priestley, commonly known as Jane, was the second wife of novelist and playwright J.B. Priestley. The collection consists mainly of correspondence between Priestley and Miss Constance M. Holder, and to Miss Holder from Priestley's sister, Mrs. Ruth Holland Jones, charting the creation and operation ofthe Priestley Nurseries, 1940-1946. These nurseries were established in Herefordshire and Cornwall, England, for children and their mothers evacuated during the blitz. Letters also discuss works by J.B. Priestley written during this period. The collection also includes a photograph album entitled "The Story of Broxwood," which tells the story of the Broxwood nursery and includes many photographs of the children who stayed at the nursery during World War II. Additional family photographs, including photographs of J.B. Priestley are included.
Controlled Access Terms
- Priestley, J. B. (John Boynton), 1894-1984.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Children.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Evacuation of civilians -- Great Britain.
- Cornwall (England : County) -- History -- 20th century.
- Cornwall (England : County) -- Social life and customs.
- Herefordshire (England) -- History -- 20th century.
- Herefordshire (England) -- Social life and customs.
- Photograph albums.
Additional Creator Name
- Patricia Cornwell collection.