- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
William A. Speir letters, 1862-1863
- .1 linear foot (1 folder)
Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref.
Collection consists of five letters written by William A. Speir to family members, mainly relating to his duties on board the U.S.S. Daffodil, and the sinking of the U.S.S. Keokuk by the Confederates in the First Battle of Charleston Harbor.
Controlled Access Terms
- Keokuk (Ironclad steamer)
- U.S.S. Daffodil (Side wheel steamer)
- Shipwrecks -- South Carolina -- Charleston Harbor.
- Charleston Harbor (S.C.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Port Royal (S.C.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
Additional Creator Names
- New York Genealogical and Biographical Society Collection.
- Gift of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society.