- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Henry Reed Stiles scrapbook
- .21 linear foot (1 volume)
Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref.
Dr. Henry Reed (H.R.) Stiles was a founding member of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, and its president from 1869-1893. The scrapbook is comprised predominantly of articles from the Register & Times (Rahway, New Jersey) written by Stiles under the pen-name "Tip Top". Most of the articles relate to the Civil War, but many relate to local concerns. Also present are letters from W. R. Coddington discussing the activities ofthe Union Army stationed in Woodbridge, New Jersey in 1861-1862, and recruiting posters dating from the same period.Other items of note are pamphlets for the Alpine Cemetery Association at Perth Amboy, New Jersey; Wm. H. Berry & Co.Fire Brick trade catalog; a typed facsimile of the 1775 Plain-Dealer from 1894; by-laws of the Pike Guard and, 3rdRegiment, New Jersey State Militia; and an invitation to Dr. Stiles to attend the opening ceremonies for the Brooklyn Bridge.
Controlled Access Terms
- New Jersey. Militia. Middlesex Brigade.
- Register & times (Rahway, N.J.)
- New Jersey -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Rahway (N.J.) -- Genealogy.
- Woodbridge (N.J.) -- Genealogy.
- Doctors -- New Jersey
- Genealogists -- New Jersey
Additional Creator Names
- Coddington, W. H.
- New York Genealogical and Biographical Society Collection.
- Gift of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society.