Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref.
The common ancestor of the American Van Zandt family was Jacobus Van Zandt. His son, Wynant, served as a commissioned agent of Charles I of England to Amsterdam. He immigrated to New York in the late seventeenth century.One of his descendants was Wynant Van Zandt, Jr., born circa 1765, a New York City merchant and Alderman. Prior to his death in 1831, Wynant Van Zandt, Jr. founded the Zion Episcopal Church in Little Neck (now Douglaston, Queens).
The papers consist of 4 folders of correspondence and business documents, such as receipts and promissory notes,predominantly addressed to Wynant Van Zandt, Jr. Correspondence relates both to business and family matters.
Controlled Access Terms
- Little Neck (New York, N.Y.)
- Merchants -- New York (State) -- New York
- Politicians -- New York (State) -- New York
Additional Creator Names
- Van Zandt, Wynant, 1767-1831.
- New York Genealogical and Biographical Society Collection.
- Gift of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society.