- .21 linear foot (1 volume)
Alvin Humphrey Sydenham kept this diary while en route from Fort Kearney, Nebraska to Fort Keogh, Montana, from August 19, 1889 through November 5, 1890. Entries describe garrison life, patrols, marches, parades, courts-martial, camp on the Yellowstone River, food and water supplies, hunting, weather conditions, transportation difficulties with mule teams, books read, his marriage on May 1, 1890 to Helen Gaston at Fort Keogh, meeting with the artist Frederic Remington at camp on the Yellowstone River on October 31, 1890, and other topics.
Contains newspaper clippings relative to the Sydenham family, and a few pencil sketches pertaining to army life.
Alvin Humphrey Sydenham was 2nd Lieutenant, 8th U.S. Cavalry regiment.
Controlled Access Terms
- Remington, Frederic, 1861-1909.
- Sydenham, Alvin Humphrey, 1867-1893.
- United States. Army -- Military life.
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel -- 19th century.