- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Emergency Committee in Aid of Displaced Foreign Scholars records, 1933-1945.
Emergency Committee in Aid of Displaced Foreign Scholars.
- 88.5 linear feet (212 boxes).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
The collection consists chiefly of grant files on refugee scholars who applied for aid from the Committee. The records also include correspondence with other refugee andphilanthropic organizations and with the educational institutions which accepted refugee scholars.
The Emergency Committee in Aid of Displaced Foreign Scholars was formed in New York City in 1933 by American academicians for the purpose of employing refugee German scholars in American institutions. Many of these refugeescholars were Jews displaced by the National Socialist government. The Committee disbanded in 1945.
Controlled Access Terms
- Emergency Committee in Aid of Displaced Foreign Scholars.
- Antisemitism -- Germany.
- College teachers -- Selection and appointment.
- Expatriation -- Germany.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
- Jews -- Employment.
- Jews -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- Germany.
- Jews -- Persecutions.
- Learned institutions and societies.
- National socialism -- Germany.
- Jewish refugees.
- Political refugees.
- Religious refugees.
- Universities and colleges.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Refugees.
- Germany -- Emigration and immigration -- History -- 1933-1945.
- Germany -- History -- 1933-1945.
- United States -- Emigration and immigration.
Additional Creator Names
- Bentwich, Norman De Mattos, 1883-1971.
- Chamberlain, Joseph P. (Joseph Perkins), 1873-1951.
- Drury, Betty.
- Duggan, Stephen, 1870-1950.
- Farrand, Livingston, 1867-1939.
- Flexner, Bernard, 1865-1945.
- Foerster, Friedrich Wilhelm, 1869-1966.
- Friedrich, Carl J. (Carl Joachim), 1901-1984.
- Johnson, Alvin Saunders, 1874-1971.
- Murrow, Edward R.
- Seelye, Laurens Hickok, 1889-
- Shapley, Harlow, 1885-1972.
- Stein, Fred M.
- Veblen, Oswald, 1880-1960.
- Academic Assistance Council.
- American Christian Committee for Refugees, Inc.
- American Friends Service Committee.
- Columbia University.
- Harvard University.
- High Commission for Refugees (Jewish and Other) Coming from Germany.
- International Student Service.
- Johns Hopkins University.
- National Co-ordinating Committee for Aid to Refugees and Emigrants Coming from Germany.
- National Refugee Service (U.S.)
- New School for Social Research (New York, N.Y.)
- Oberlaender Trust.
- Rockefeller Foundation.
- Universiṭah ha-ʻIvrit bi-Yerushalayim.
- University of Michigan.