Ely, Abner Lord, 1805-1871.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of general and family correspondence, legal and financial papers, and other materials relating mainly to Ely's activities as a dry goods merchant, commission agent, and manager of real estate in New York City. Correspondence, 1832-1871, received from John B. Lesieur, a socially prominent American residing in Paris, France, concerns political events in France and Europe andproperties in New York which were managed by Ely. Includedis correspondence with members of the Mead family and withEly's brother John, a lawyer, regarding cases involving mercantile law being tried before the United States Supreme Court. Also, miscellaneous legal and financial papers of other members of the Ely family and a history, 1955, of the firm founded by Ely written by his lineal descendant Richard Ely Nevius.
Abner Lord Ely (1805-1871) was a New York City merchant and real estate manager. He founded the real estate management firm Horace S. Ely & Company in New York City.
Controlled Access Terms
- Ely, Abner Lord, 1805-1871.
- Mead family.
- Ely family.
- United States. Supreme Court.
- Horace S. Ely & Co. (New York, N.Y.)
- Dry-goods -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Real estate management -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Real property -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Commercial law -- United States.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Commerce.
- Paris (France) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- France -- History -- 1789-1900.
- Paris (France) -- History -- 1789-1900.
Additional Creator Names
- Ely, Horace S.
- Ely, John.
- Ely, Seth M.
- Lesieur, John B., d. 1876.
- Nevius, Richard Ely, 1907-