Edgar Allan Poe Cottage (Bronx, New York, N.Y.)
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 3 linear feet (4 boxes and 1 oversize folder)
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated. Readers must use photocopies of fragile materials.
Collection consists of writings, artifacts and newspaper clippings relating to Edgar Allan Poe and the Poe Cottage. Writings include typescripts of works about Poe and holograph and typescript poems submitted to Poe Cottage poetry contest in 1925. Also, list of members of Poe Cottage Committee, register of visitors to cottage; genealogical notes, scrapbook of clippings, photographs, and articles and miscellaneous papers concerning Poe. Artifacts include carved ivory Chinese puzzle and wood fragment.
The Edgar Allan Poe Cottage, owned by the City of New York,has been open as a museum since 1917. Poe lived in the cottage, located in the Bronx, N.Y., from 1846 until his death in 1849. It was declared an official city landmark in 1966 and has been under the administration of the BronxCounty Historical Society since 1975.
Controlled Access Terms
- Poe, Edgar Allan, 1809-1849.
- Gillen family.
- Waite family.
- Edgar Allan Poe Cottage (Bronx, New York, N.Y.)
- American literature -- 19th century.
- American poetry -- 20th century.
- Historic buildings -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Photographic prints.
Additional Creator Names
- Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933.
- Markham, Edwin, 1852-1940.
- Noyes, Alfred, 1880-1958.
- Bronx Society of Arts and Sciences. Poe Cottage Committee.
- Bronx County Historical Society.