- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Duyckinck family papers, 1793-1889.
- 28 linear feet (80 boxes, 59 v.).
- Selected papers: 2 microfilm reels.
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Melville originals are restricted. Researchers must usemicrofilm.
Collection consists of literary and general correspondence,diaries, notebooks, manuscripts of writings, memorabilia, and legal, financial, and business papers, 1830-1878, of E.A. Duyckinck and George L. Duyckinck. Also, correspondence, daybooks, account and receipt books, and journals, 1793-1833, of their father, Evert Duyckinck; papers, 1838-1889, of Margaret Wolfe Panton Duyckinck, wife of E.A. Duyckinck; papers, 1856-1869, of Henry Duyckinck, Evert Duyckinck, Jr., and George Duyckinck (sons of E.A. Duyckinck); papers, 1810-1851, of Sophia Roorbach; and papers of the Wolfe and Panton families. Includes manuscript of Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Old Manse(1846) and Washington Irving's The Author's Apology (1848)and Communipaw (1849).
Evert Augustus Duyckinck (1816-1878) and his brother George Long Duyckinck (1823-1863) were biographers, editors of The Literary World between 1848 and 1853, and editors and publishers of the Cyclopedia of American Literature.
Controlled Access Terms
- Duyckinck family.
- Panton family.
- Wolfe family.
- American literature -- 19th century.
- Journalism -- United States.
- Publishers and publishing -- United States.
- Autograph albums.
- Photographic prints.
Additional Creator Names
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel, 1804-1864.
- Irving, Washington, 1783-1859.
- Duyckinck, Evert A. (Evert Augustus), 1816-1878.
- Duyckinck, George L. (George Long), 1823-1863.
- Duyckinck, Evert, 1764?-1833.
- Duyckinck, Margaret Wolfe Panton.
- Duyckinck, Henry, 1843-1870.
- Duyckinck, Evert, 1841-1857.
- Duyckinck, George, 1846-1873.
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891.
- Roorbach, Sophia.