Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865.
Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle
Restricted access; Pforzheimer Collection; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
· To "the Surgeon General" [i.e., Joseph K. Barnes, acting Surgeon General] : 1 autograph note signed "A. Lincoln" : 4 Mar 1864 : (MISC 0162) : [no place] : reads, "If the Surgeon General has the means will he please give the information sought in ths letter." Written on the verso of a letter by Mrs. R. W. Twitchell to Alexander Ramsey, then U.S. senator from Minnesota. Mrs. Twitchell asks the senator to deliver an enclosed letter (now lost) to the president; her husband is a member of the 9th Minnesota Regiment Volunteer Infantry which at the time was stationed in Rolla, Missouri. Twitchell's letter is docketed, perhaps in Ramsey's hand, noting that she "wantsthis letter handed to the President." Bears the circular "received" stamp of the Surgeon General's Office, dated 5 Mar 1864; and an attestation signed "Martha" which reads, "This is the presidents own handwriting."
Abraham Lincoln, sixteenth President of the United States.
Controlled Access Terms
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Correspondence.
- Presidents -- United States -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
Additional Creator Names
- Barnes, Joseph K., 1817-1883. rcp
- Twitchell, R. W., Mrs.
- Ramsey, Alexander, 1815-1903. rcp
- Carl H. Pforzheimer Collection of Shelley and His Circle: Manuscripts, 1772-1925