Donlevy, Alice H., 1846-1929.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 3.5 linear feet (8 boxes, 1 folder).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of personal correspondence and papers in addition to correspondence and ephemera relating to Donlevy's involvement with various organizations. Correspondence, 1860-1911, contains letters to Donlevy, many concerning Ladies Art Association activities, such asarrangements for classes, lectures, exhibits, and other programs sponsored by the Association. Some of the lettersdocument the lives of women in the latter part of the 19thcentury. Correspondence also includes materials relating to Donlevy's Boer relief activities. Records of the LadiesArt Association, 1867-1900, consist of correspondence, financial records, minutes, and printed matter. Woman's Memorial Fund papers, 1889-1895, include correspondence, legal papers and printed matter. Materials related to the Woman's Auxiliary League of the Boer Relief Fund and the Woman's South African League (ca. 1900-1903) include correspondence, notebook and photograph of Eliza VerplanckRichards, petitions and records of assistance to Boer prisoners and refugees, and printed matter.
Alice Heighes Donlevy (1846-1929) was an artist and advocate of industrial art education in the schools. She worked as a painter, illustrator and weaver and wrote and lectured on the art of illumination. In 1867 she became a founding member of the Ladies Art Association and was active with the Woman's South African League, the Woman's Auxiliary League of the Boer Relief Fund, and the Woman's Memorial Fund.
Controlled Access Terms
- Donlevy, Alice H., 1846-1929.
- Art -- Study and teaching -- United States.
- Decoration and ornament -- United States.
- Decorative arts -- United States.
- South African War, 1899-1902.
- South African War, 1899-1902 -- Prisoners and prisons.
Additional Creator Names
- Anthony, Susan B. (Susan Brownell), 1820-1906.
- Bradbury, L. A.
- Fara, Jessie.
- Gutherz, Carl.
- Hapgood, Isabel Florence, 1850-1928.
- Hartley, J. Scott.
- Hassell, John A.
- Joubert, G. D.
- Kihn, A. C.
- Kihn, C. E.
- Richards, Eliza Verplanck.
- Schuyler, Phillip.
- Ladies Art Association (New York, N.Y.)
- Woman's Auxiliary League of the Boer Relief Fund.
- Woman's Memorial Fund.
- Woman's South African League.