Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 13.5 linear feet (14 boxes, 2 v., 1 package).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Papers reflect the economic, professional and personal histories of the Clymer-Meredith-Read families. Includes correspondence, land papers, legal papers, personal and business accounts, estate papers, writings, scrapbooks, and notebooks of George Read, George Read, II, John Read, John Meredith Read, John Meredith Read, II, John Meredith Read, III, Reese Meredith, Samuel Meredith, Thomas Meredith, George Clymer, Henry Clymer, and Thomas Clymer. Also, diary kept by John Meredith Read, II, during the siege of Paris by the Germans in 1870-1871; some papers ofSamuel Dickinson, Hannah Carpenter, and George Ross and family; and letters from James Buchanan.
The Clymer, Meredith and Read families of Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania, related by marriage and business, consisted of merchants, lawyers, judges, soldiers, bankers, entrepreneurs, politicians, two signersof the Declaration of Independence (George Read and GeorgeClymer), and poet and diplomat John Meredith Read, II, United States Consul-General in Paris.
Controlled Access Terms
- Clymer family.
- Meredith family.
- Reed family.
- Banks and banking.
- Real property.
- Franco-Prussian War, 1870-1871.
- Diplomatic and consular service, American -- France.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Delaware -- Commerce.
- New Jersey -- Commerce.
- New York (State) -- Commerce.
- Pennsylvania -- Commerce.
- Paris (France) -- History -- Commune, 1871.
Additional Creator Names
- Read, George, 1733-1798.
- Read, John M. (John Meredith), 1797-1874.
- Read, John Meredith, 1837-1896.
- Meredith, Reese.
- Meredith, Samuel, 1741-1817.
- Meredith, Thomas.
- Clymer, George, 1739-1813.
- Clymer, Henry, 1767-1830.
- Clymer, Thomas.
- Dickinson, Samuel Fowler, 1775-1838.
- Carpenter, Hannah.
- Ross, George, 1730-1779.
- Buchanan, James, 1791-1868.