- My NYPL
New & Notable
Made at NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
William Conant Church papers, 1863-1909, bulk (1863-1878)
Church, William Conant, 1836-1917.
- 2.1 linear feet (7 boxes).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of correspondence and records relatingto the operations of the two publications edited by Churchand his brother. Correspondence of The Army and Navy Journal includes materials depicting various battles and military personnel of the Civil War and letters written toChurch from contributors, subscribers, sales agents, officials of government departments, and newspaper correspondents. The Galaxy correspondence contains lettersfrom American and British literary contributors to the magazine. Also, records maintained by Sheldon & Co., publishers of The Galaxy.
William Conant Church (1836-1917) was co-editor with his brother, Francis P. Church, of The Galaxy, a literary monthly, and The Army and Navy Journal, a weekly newspaperdevoted to the interests of the U.S. military. The Galaxy was absorbed in 1878 by Atlantic Monthly.
Controlled Access Terms
- Church, William Conant, 1836-1917.
- Authors, American.
- Authors, English -- 19th century.
- Journalism, Military.
- Periodicals -- Publishing -- United States.
- Publishers and publishing -- United States.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
Additional Creator Names
- Benson, Eugene, 1837-1908.
- Church, Francis Pharcellus, 1839-1906.
- Davis, Rebecca Harding, 1831-1910.
- James, Henry, 1843-1916.
- Reade, Charles, 1814-1884.
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892.
- Sheldon & Company (New York, N.Y.)
- Army and navy journal.
- Galaxy (New York, N.Y. : 1866)