Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 4 linear feet (7 boxes, 5 v.)
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of Jacob Titus Bowne's correspondence,1868-1921, and genealogies relating to the history of the Bowne family of England and Flushing, New York, and 17th, 18th, and 19th century manuscripts concerning the Bowne family. Included are an agreement, 1688, signed by William Bradford; John Bowne's account with Bradford, 1686; manuscripts of Samuel Bowne; transcript of journal of John Bowne relating to journeys taken between Boston, Flushing, Holland, Madeira, Barbados, and England, 1650-1677, with related correspondence, accounts, and family records; account book, 1796-1803, of Robert Bowne; photostats of land conveyances in Flushing, 1652-1776; account book, 1649-1703, of John Bowne, including cider sold to William Penn and others, books received from William Bradford to be sold, accounts of the Society of Friends, accounts kept as Treasurer of Queens County, N.Y.,with entries continued by Samuel Bowne; and miscellaneous marriage certificates, portraits and views, wills, inventories, marriage and birth records, and late 19th andearly 20th century published works relating to the Bowne family and the Bowne House.
Members of the Bowne family included John Bowne (1627-1695), a Quaker leader in New York; Robert H. Bowne (1776-1843), a New York merchant; and Jacob Titus Bowne (1847-1925), a genealogist.
Controlled Access Terms
- Penn, William, 1644-1718.
- Boone family.
- Queens County (N.Y.). Treasurer.
- Bowne House (New York, N.Y.)
- Conveyancing -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Real property -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Boston (Mass.) -- Description and travel.
- Flushing (New York, N.Y.) -- Description and travel.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Description and travel.
- Netherlands -- Description and travel.
- England -- Description and travel.
- Barbados -- Description and travel.
- Madeira (Madeira Islands) -- Description and travel.
- Flushing (New York, N.Y.) -- Social life and customs.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Commerce.
- Pennsylvania -- Commerce.
Additional Creator Names
- Bowne, Robert H., 1776-1843.
- Bradford, William, 1663-1752.
- Bowne, Jacob Titus, 1847-1925.
- Bowne, John.
- Bowne, Samuel.