Black, Alexander, 1859-1940.
Manuscripts and Archives Division
- 1.5 linear feet (4 boxes).
Restricted access; Manuscripts and Archives Division; Permit must be requested at the division indicated.
Collection consists of correspondence, PEN Club materials,writings, photographs, sketches, and miscellaneous papers. Correspondence, 1858-1939, reflects Black's editorial work and personal engagements. P.E.N. papers, 1921-1935, include correspondence and printed matter relating to meetings, membership and events sponsored by the Club. Writings series contains Black's manuscripts, notes and notebooks. Also, photographs, sketches by Black and printed materials.
Alexander Black (1859-1940) was an author, editor and originator of the "picture play" the dramatic forerunner of the motion picture.
Controlled Access Terms
- Black, Alexander, 1859-1940.
- Journalism -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Authors -- Societies, etc.
- Motion picture industry -- United States.
Additional Creator Names
- Gilman, Charlotte Perkins, 1860-1935.
- Gunnison, Almon, 1844-1917.
- Remington, Frederic, 1861-1909.
- Stedman, Arthur.
- Tesla, Nikola, 1856-1943.
- Wiggin, Kate Douglas Smith, 1856-1923.