The Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL) is a premier public business library with comprehensive print materials, e-resources, and services for start-ups and established businesses seeking expansion, and for job seekers from entry to executive levels. Library staff provide roving assistance and research consultations, and advisory services are offered on-site by experienced business owners, career coaches, and a financial specialist. Contact us.
What Can You Do at SIBL?
Reserve a free small meeting room. SIBL has small group meeting rooms available for business researchers, students, client meetings or group projects.
Conduct research for a business plan, on companies for your personal investments, or historical research for a book or magazine article, or other creative projects.
SIBL collections and resources are focused on business, small business, finance, industry and technology. Librarians can assist you with your research and help you find business or financial data as well as government information: patents & trademarks, census & trade data, and historical reports such as Senate hearings or legislative information.
As one of four research libraries of the New York Public Library, SIBL's collections are stored onsite as well as offsite. If you need older print volumes or microformats for your research we suggest that you check the "classic catalog" to request materials in advance of your visit. SIBL librarians assist researchers at reference desks and in consultations by appointment.
Attend a Free Class or Program. Events at SIBL include daytime or evening classes in investing, business planning, market research, careers and job search, patents and trademarks and more.
Get Free Advice from Experts:
Business coaching for planning & growth from SCORE business mentors
Financial advice from financial advisors, most certified by the Financial Planning Association
Career Coaching from professional job coaches
Interlibrary loan is available through SIBL. See this link and ask a librarian if you need books or journals which are not held in the library's collections. Librarians can also make referrals to other libraries through a METRO card.
download the current issue of NOW (PDF)
Historical : SIBL's Mission Statement May 1996 :
The Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL), one of the specialized centers of The New York Public Library, commits its exceptional resources and expertise to providing open access to information in support of education, research, and entrepreneurial activities. Taking a leadership role, SIBL:
- delivers innovative information and education services that anticipate the needs of the center's constituents.
- accelerates access to networked information in science and business and provides education to encourage the public's use of digital technologies.
- builds on the breadth and depth of its global science and business collections within the context of the service program and new models of access.
- assists the public and fellow staff with information that is responsive, timely, and accurate.
- collaborates with external organizations and businesses to expand services which extend the Library's resources and enable SIBL to serve a larger audience.
- sustains an environment for the staff that nurtures creative thinking and problem solving and encourages staff development.