- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
About the Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL)
The Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL) is a premier public business library with comprehensive print materials, electronic resources, and services for start-ups and established businesses seeking expansion, and for job seekers from entry to executive levels. Library staff provide roving assistance and research consultations. Advisory services are offered on-site by experienced business owners, career coaches, certified financial planners and financial fitness coaches. Contact us.
SIBL collections focus on business, small business, finance and investments, industry and technology. Librarians can help you find the business and financial data you need, and can assist in finding government information including patents and trademarks, census and trade data, and historical reports such as Senate hearings or legislative information.
What Can You Do at SIBL?
- Reserve a free small meeting room: use a small group meeting room for business research, study groups, client meetings or interviews and networking
- Get help with your research: Need to find information for a business plan? Find companies to invest in or do historical research for a book, article or other creative project? Go to the Altman Reference Desk on lower level to speak with a librarian.
- Make an appointment with a librarian for more in-depth assistance.
- Access research collections: as one of four research libraries of the New York Public Library, SIBL's collections are stored both on- and offsite. If you need older print volumes or microformats for please check the catalog to request materials in advance of your visit. Newer materials are onsite in print or electronic format.
- Access premium databases only available onsite including Bloomberg, Emerging Markets, Mintel, E-Marketer, First Research, Reference USA and D&B Directories, Plunkett's, Simply Map, Statistical Insight and more.
- Learn: take a class or attend an evening program.
- Start a business, or write a business plan at the library!
- Read: research collections are for onsite use only, but books to borrow are also available.
- Interlibrary loan is available to request materials held at other libraries.
- METRO Referral: Ask a librarian if you need books or journals which are not in the library's collections—we can connect you to other local libraries.
- Get Advice from Experts: Business coaching for planning and growth from SCORE business mentors, Financial advice from certified financial planners and financial fitness coaches, and Career Coaching from professional job coaches.
Historical Information about SIBL
SIBL's Mission Statement, May 1996: The Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL), one of the specialized centers of The New York Public Library, commits its exceptional resources and expertise to providing open access to information in support of education, research, and entrepreneurial activities. Taking a leadership role, SIBL:
- delivers innovative information and education services that anticipate the needs of the center's constituents.
- accelerates access to networked information in science and business and provides education to encourage the public's use of digital technologies.
- builds on the breadth and depth of its global science and business collections within the context of the service program and new models of access.
- assists the public and fellow staff with information that is responsive, timely, and accurate.
- collaborates with external organizations and businesses to expand services which extend the Library's resources and enable SIBL to serve a larger audience.
- sustains an environment for the staff that nurtures creative thinking and problem solving and encourages staff development.