The Sedgwick Branch of The New York Public Library is located on University Avenue at the corner of West 176th Street.
It is a modern building with an innovative circular community room surrounded in stainless steel with large windows that flood the library with afternoon sunlight. Fully accessible to people who use wheelchairs, the two-story facility houses an adult and young adult collection on the second floor, and a children's collection on the first floor. The community room is available for community group meetings as well as library programs.
Open to the public since 1951, the library was originally located on the ground floor of the Sedgwick Houses, a large housing project. It was relocated to its current location in June 1994. An extensive renovation added a second floor with an elevator and 19 computer workstations.