Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

About the Riverside Library


Girls read at Riverside.
Girls in the reading room.

The Riverside branch dates to 1897, when the Riverside Association donated its small collection to the New York Free Circulating Library. It has since evolved into a modern library located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Riverside became a branch of The New York Public Library in 1901. Four years later, the branch moved to 190 Amsterdam Avenue, a building constructed with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie. The library remained at that site for nearly 87 years, until it moved to its current location at 127 Amsterdam Avenue in 1992.

The two-story library features public computers and laptops that can be reserved for 45-minute sessions.  The main floor holds the adult collection, including print and non-print materials. The second floor is a combined children's and young adult space.

Search for events at this branch.

Riverside branch
The branch dates to 1897.
Riverside branch
The exterior. 
Riverside branch
Quiet time. 

Community District Information

For more information about your Community District, including census data, community board information, local schools, and other resources, see here.