Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

About the New Dorp Library



New Dorp Community Library.

The New Dorp branch of The New York Public Library is one of the busiest on Staten Island. 

Established by local residents, the New Dorp Community Library opened  in 1907. By 1909, it was receiving books from The New York Public Library's Traveling Library (the Bookmobile), and in 1926 New Dorp became an official branch of NYPL. In 2000, an extensive renovation was completed including a redesigned exterior and remodeled interior.

The children's room contains story steps for toddlers and preschoolers. The adult collection includes books in Chinese, Russian, and Spanish. English classes for speakers of other languages are held throughout the year.

Search for events at this branch.

Download our monthly program calendar (PDF)

Search the NYPL Digital Gallery for historical images of the New Dorp Library and its community.

Community District Information

For more information about your Community District, including census data, community board information, local schools, and other resources, see here.

NYPL Sub-branch, New Dorp, opened  November 1926.
New Dorp Regional Branch Library, 1972.
Renovated to present appearance between 1998 and 2000.
James Watson Hughes Memorial Library, New Dorp. This sub-branch of The New York Public Library  was located at 155 Third St.
New Dorp Library in the J. W. Hughes real estate office, before 1913.