The Mosholu Branch of The New York Public Library is located on 205th Street, adjacent to Whalen Park and the Perry Avenue exit of the D train.
Like the neighborhood, the branch gets its name from the Native American word mosholu, which means "smooth stones" or "small stones" and once referred to a brook that ran through the Bronx. The one-story, modernist building opened in 1955 and houses adult, young adult, and children’s collections. A 60-seat, multiuse meeting room located in the basement of the library is available for community group meetings as well as library programs. A ramp provides access to the building, and an elevator goes to the lower level, where programs are held and wheelchair-accessible public restrooms are located.