First Floor (Plaza Level)
Phone: (917) 275-6975
Fully accessible to wheelchairs
* The circulating CD's are now located on the second floor. As of October 1, 2010, we will begin to move the circulating DVDs to the second floor.
Material in the circulating sound and video collection consists solely of commercially released items.
Listening and Viewing Facilities
Six Multi-media Stations are available on a first-come, first-served basis in the Jean and Jula Goldwurm Reading Room. Each station is capable of playing DVD’s or Compact Discs. Patrons may sign up for a 2-hour session and view materials that have been checked out with an NYPL borrower’s card. Patrons may also use fourteen listening stations with unlimited listening time. These stations accommodate two listeners each and are capable of playing compact discs. Please note that only library owned materials may be accessed in this area.
Collected in the following categories:
- Orchestral & Chamber Music
- Solo Instrumental Music
- Vocal Music: Non-operatic
- Dramatic Music: Opera, Musical Theater, and Film Soundtracks
- Popular: Jazz, Rock, Country, R & B, and all forms of pop music
- Electronic & Experimental
- World Music: Folk & Ethnic music from around the world
- Miscellaneous: Sound Effects, Theatrical Plays, Dance Instruction, and Comedy
- Accent and dialect recordings for actors
In addition to music on CD, we also have:
- Audiocassettes: Accent and dialect tapes for actors, and select theatrical plays
DVDs & Videotapes
A range of videos from the following categories:
- Music: Opera, Musical Theater, Ballet, Rock, Jazz, Instructional, Biography, and Documentary
- Plays: Shakespeare and more.
- Feature Films/Movies: An assortment of both American & Foreign films
- Classic Television Programs
- Dance: Includes Ballet, Performance, Biographies, Instruction & Exercise