Programs and Services at the Bronx Library Center
Adult Learning Center
- Two types of classes are offered: ENGLISH / (ESOL): Classes for people who want to learn and improve their English. These classes offer speaking/listening, also some reading/writing. READING & WRITING CLASSES / (Adult Basic Education - ABE): Classes for people who speak English, but need help with reading and writing in English.
Young Adult Literacy Program
- Please call 718-579-4208 for more info.
- Innovation Labs offers an ELA elective course for 9th through 12th grade students that includes laptop labs, multi-week proejcts, and fields trips. Innovation Labs also teaches students to communicate their ideas through blogs, videos, podcasts, and more. Please call 718-579-4217 for more info.
Technology Training Center
- Free Computer Classes at the library. Classes are single session and are 2 hours long. A new schedule is offered each month. Pre-registration is required. Call 718-579-4244 for more information. Registration starts on the last Friday of each month at 1 pm on a first come, first serve basis.
- Equipped with theatrical lighting, the auditorium seats 150. There is always a free program on Saturdays at 2:30 pm.
Adult Popular Library
- New Bestsellers - both Fiction and Non-Fiction books on a wide variety topics; Adult DVD collection (Movies, TV series, documentary and instructional DVDs, and World Cinema movies); Music CD collection and Urban Fiction collection.
- Four walk-up catalog computers where library users can search for items and manage their library account.
- Books (Non-fiction & Fiction), CDs and DVDs for ages 12-18 are available for borrowing. There is seating area and internet computers for teenagers only. Printing from PCs is also available. A wide variety of fun, educational programming is available for teens each week.
- A small priority seating area for seniors and those who are mobility challenged.
- The children's room provides a full range of educational resources for and about children. A large collection of books, dvds, and other materials are available for borrowing. A Children’s Programming Room features a variety of children's events each month.
Adult Circulating Collections
- Non-fiction books on a wide variety of topics including: exam prep, learning English, Citizenship, cookbooks, travel books, biographies, technology, literature and history. Fiction: Hardcover and Paperback Fiction, Mystery, Romance, Sci-Fi, and the Classics. Large Print Books; Audio Books; Books in other languages - Bengali, Chinese, French, Russian and Vietnamese are also available.
- Popular magazines and newspapers are available for in library reading only.
- Closed Circuit Television Enlarger (CCTV) - enlarges printed material 45-60 X (for the visually impaired).
- Six Internet accessible computers for adults only.
- A Reading Terrace which is open when the weather is fine.
- An afterschool program preparing at-risk youth for success in high school and beyond.
Latino and Puerto Rican Cultural Collection
- Circulating and reference bilingual (English/Spanish) collections reflecting both individuals' cultural experiences and the broader Latino experience including popular bestsellers in Spanish for borrowing. A rare Puerto Rican/Latino collection is housed in the Heritage Room; please see a librarian for access.
- This collections comprises a small print reference collection with concentration on business, law, and literature. Over 400 research databases on a wide array of subjects can be accessed on the 48 Internet accessible computers available on this floor. A library card is required for usage. Special Reference collections are also available on the following: Bronx History, The Works of Edgar Allan Poe and the Foundation Center.
Career and Educational Information Service
- Offers career and educational counseling by appointment or walk-in. Computers and accompanying software are available. Learn more here.
- By appointment only. Get your free IDNYC card. Please call 311 for an appointment.