About the 96th Street Library
The 96th Street branch dates to 1905 and is one of the locations built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie. Since then, it has become a vital center of information, learning, and recreation for a diverse community.
Bridging the neighborhoods of Yorkville and East Harlem, the library was designed by the noted architecture firm Babb, Cook and Willard. Both beautiful and functional, the interior is distinguished by tall arched windows, lofty ceilings, wide staircases, and dark oak bookshelves. A renovation in 1991 considerably expanded the space available to the public and modernized the building while retaining its original architectural beauty.
The two-story library features public computers that can be reserved for 45-minute sessions and unlimited WiFi. The branch contains an adult reading room, a children's room with a separate space for story hours, an expanded reference center, a conference room, and an auditorium with a seating capacity of 50. Monthly art exhibits are among the many programs and events offered for adults, children, and teens.
Community District Information
For more information about your Community District, including census data, community board information, local schools, and other resources, see here.