About the Dorot Jewish Division
The Dorot Jewish Division is responsible for administering, developing and promoting one of the world’s great collections of Hebraica and Judaica. Reference and research services are available in a dedicated Jewish studies reading room on the first floor of the Library’s landmark Stephen A. Schwarzman Building.
Primary source materials are especially rich in the following areas: Jews in the United States, especially in New York in the age of immigration; Yiddish theater; Jews in the land of Israel, through 1948; Jews in early modern Europe, especially Jewish-Gentile relations; Christian Hebraism; antisemitism; and world Jewish newspapers and periodicals of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
New Online Resources
- 350 oral history interviews from the American Jewish Committee Collection in our Digital Collections
- New blog post: http://www.nypl.org/blog/division/5214
- JSTOR's online Hebrew-language and Jewish Studies journals
- Updated Electronic Resources for Jewish Studies available from home with your Library card, as well as onsite
- Research guides on Jewish cookbooks, current periodicals, Yiddish research and how to find Hebrew books
The Dorot Jewish Division was established as a distinct collection with funding contributed by Jacob Schiff in 1897, just two years after the formation of The New York Public Library. Abraham S. Freidus, cataloger of the Astor Library's rich collection of Judaica, was appointed the Division's first chief and presided over its rapid growth for twenty five years. The Library's foundation for collections on Jewish subjects in Hebrew and other languages was provided by holdings from the Astor and Lenox libraries. This existing nucleus was quickly expanded by the acquisition of the private libraries of Leon Mandelstamm, Meyer Lehren, and Isaac Meyer, as well as some holdings of the Aguilar Free Library, a small public library system operated by a group of philanthropic Jews in the nineteenth century that merged with The New York Public Library in 1903. By the early 1900s the Dorot Jewish Division already rivaled the oldest and best Jewish libraries in Europe.
In subsequent years the Division continued to grow by purchases, gifts of books, and contributions of funds. In 1983, for example, a gift from the estate of New York City realtor Jacob Perlow established an endowment fund which partially supports acquisitions, conservation, and public services. In 1986 the Dorot Foundation endowed the position of the Chief of the Division, and the following year the S. H. and Helen R. Scheuer Family Foundation made a substantial gift for renovation and new technology. Today the Dorot Jewish Division contains a comprehensive and balanced chronicle of the religious and secular history of the Jewish people in over a quarter of a million books, microforms, manuscripts, newspapers, periodicals, and ephemera from all over the world.